Home » Self Assessment Essay

Self Assessment Essay

Passage of knowledge gain

I had no prior knowledge of linguistics when I started the study, and I had never given it much thought. I had no expectations of learning anything other than completing a slew of assignments and essays. But it has proven me wrong after the first week. The language accent was the first issue that we discussed in class. When I was with people, I never truly paid attention. I discovered in this session that accents can bring your own identities and personalities, which is an interesting topic to discuss. Not only that, but our professor meticulously prepared the course so that everyone can gain a deeper understanding of the subject.

We had to write a language narrative essay for the first assignment so that our professor could have a better knowledge of us and know what we know. There were no guidelines to follow; simply write what came to mind. We also discussed broken English, with Amy Tan’s “Mother Tongue” being the first item we read. In that story, I saw a lot of parallels between how she used to speak on behalf of her mother and how others treat her mother because of her accent. Everyone in this country desires or seeks flawless English. There were also other artists, such as Safwat Saleem and June Jordan, who spoke about their own experiences or observed others’ struggles because of how they spoke and wrote. They discussed how poor English had a wide range of effects on people’s lives, including those who read the articles in our class, and we discovered we had similar issues. 

I wanted to look at several suggestions that have influenced people’s language over the year. I am not a book reader, but I enjoy hearing other people’s perspectives. I enjoy authentic experiences and enjoy sharing them with others. So, for every essay I wrote for this semester, I wanted my classmates and professor to be the target audience. Everyone will have the same experience, as intended. It will be similar to mine in some ways or utterly different in others. That is why, whenever I read something, I attempt to discover something that resonates with myself, what I have experienced, and what I have observed in others. Also, when writing an essay, it’s important to include an intriguing hook because that’s how readers will be enticed to stay reading till the finish. 

I learned the significance of being active and collaborating while writing this article. Because having someone else look at my article from a different perspective helped me enhance it by providing me with new ideas on how to make it more engaging. It also helped me reduce my errors. It also helped me become a better reviewer because we had to read through our peers’ papers and see what they should add and what they did well. Also, sometimes we unpleasantly say things, but we learned how to respectfully criticize and not just offer them a load of advice, but to comment on something useful that might genuinely benefit them when accomplishing things. In a single word, peer review aided me.

We discussed rhetorical analysis in the second assignment. This is also a new phrase for me. First and foremost, we were to choose a video or article to study during the lecture so that we could write a Rhetorical Analysis essay based on that topic. I chose Amy Tan’s “Mother Tongue” for this because, as I previously stated, it was the one I could most identify with. It is, without a doubt, one of my favorite writings from my academic experience. This project assisted us in analyzing and learning about the many sorts of rhetorical methods. We also studied ethos, pathos, and logos, as well as how they are used in various ways and strategies.

Learning the viewpoint of the rhetorical end was the most essential understanding I learned during this project. I’ve learned how to decipher rhetorical words, as well as how and when to engage in writing because these tactics can persuade the audience to trust the writing. 

The research paper was the third and last task I had to complete. We also had the option of choosing our topic to discuss, and I selected “Language and Gender Inequality.” This is the issue I selected since gender has always been a source of concern for me. I’ve struggled and watched others struggle because of their gender, but individuals are also discriminated against because of their language. That was a new topic for me to investigate. I use proper tone and language in my essay so that individuals of all ages may read it since it is an essential issue about which we should be aware since we were young. To appeal to my audience, I use the rhetorical strategies I acquired in the second assignment. Because it had to establish the thesis, finding the argument was the most difficult component of this task. I also attempted to provide images so that you can see what I’m talking about.

Also, I’ve learned how to properly cite sources, and our professor recommended that we adopt the MLA citation system. Citation is critical for work since it may be used to detect copied content. Caitlin also suggests utilizing a single webpage that assists with accurate citations. 

This is the last project for this class, and it is a self-assessment essay. If I talk about myself, I’ve learned a lot about writing and have matured a lot since the beginning. Rhetorical strategies, research papers, peer review, and so on are now much more simple and comprehensible than they were previously. I intend to put my academic talents to good use in the future. Finally, FIQWS will always be my favorite course and will have a particular place in my heart since it taught me to be secure in my writing and that being different is alright.