Home » I-search Journal

I-search Journal

I -Search Process: The topic that I chose is “Language and gender inequality.” There are so many topics that I want to cover in my research. I feel like I will have to face some kind of hardship to find the sources, I mean because so many people don’t talk about that. We all know this is an important topic but for some reason the topic is unpopular. I feel like this topic is most affected in the Asian countries but if we dig through we can also find people who are getting affected while talking because of their gender all over the world, especially women. So far for my topic, first I want to search for how language is related to gender, as the first part of my research paper. Okay, I found an article about the relationship between language and gender. Oh my God, I wanted to read that but when I clicked there it just downloaded to my laptop. Now I have to open it up to read. So when I open the article I see how women and men all talk differently. The author of the article chose the reason behind the difference in the language of a man and a woman. Very different parts and articles where I can use in my research, so I will choose this article as a secondary source for my research paper. I can use this as a secondary source as the author predicted the information and gave his point of view. 

Now for my research paper, I want some Primary sources. I can look for the journal, ted talk, or news articles as a part of primary sources but as I said before It’s hard to find as there is no direct feedback on the people. I think I will search on youtube for the video. I will search for language and gender, okay I got a 44 minute video. I will choose that because I think they will describe the information thoroughly. Yes, they speak about how our language varies based on which gender we’re talking about and to in this video. They also go over the differences in how men and women utilize words. I also need my professor’s feedback on whether I can use it or not. 

Now I will look for news articles about how language is related to gender discrimination. I think I found an article called BBC Culture. The title of the article is interesting. It says, “Languages have very different rules when it comes to gender – but does that have an impact on how we see the world?” It seems like this is a newspaper article but I got some impressive pictures about how men and women must talk in a certain way. Maybe I can use it as a primary source but again I need my professor’s approval whether I can use it or not. But I think pictures describe a lot of things and tell an untold story. 

While searching for some interviews as a primary source for my research topic I search “interview about how there are gender descrimination on language.” Oh, I got lots of things in google but no interview of course. I tried to scroll down and found another interesting topic which is “The coded language that holds women back at work” by BBC. In my research proposal, I also talked about how women are being underestimated at their job for being a woman and people use specific phrases for them rather than a man. So this will be a topic to talk about a lot. 

I am trying my best to find some journal or news article but again and again, I am failing. This time I will try to find something from Asia. Okay in the google search box I typed gender linguistics in Asia. I found an article, “Asean Studies center” which is about The Language of gender discrimination in Southeast Asia. This will be a great topic to compare with the outside country/developed country. 

Another day of researching my research topic. This afternoon I interviewed my friend. A little background about my friend, her name is Pem Doma and she is from Nepal. She is also from the city college of new york majoring in sociology. We went to high school together and since then we have talked about the issue. That’s why I thought she would be the best person to interview about it. First I started the conversation by introducing ourselves. Then I asked the first question: what’s your thought about language and how do you think it relates to gender? She gave me a lot of information that is used by women in Asia to insult them and on the other hand people consider boys as superior. She also mentions how many times in her house she is being interrupted while talking by her family members. I think the information I got from her will be good to use as evidence and argument.

I had a meeting with both Prof Molly and Caitlin on Monday.  I figured out that I did not add my academic sources. To find the academic sources now I will go to the CCNY library. So, I search by writing “Sexism In language” I see a lot of results for that but I can not find a specific one. Now I will do an advanced search. In the advance search, in the first row I typed sexist language and in the second row I wrote South asia. The result I got is “Gender representation in Iranian English language coursebooks”. I will choose this article because first of all this is peer reviewed and second of all it will describe how women are valued in Irish in western Asia, how cruself is that also providing evidence is the best part. For the second academic source, I did the same process by using the advanced search and this time I typed “Gender Coded Language” also changed the name of the country by America because I want to compare that not only in Asia there are stereotypes built based on their gender when it comes to language. For Thai serach the result I got “Girls Try, Boys Aim High: Exposing Difference in Implied Ability, Activity, and Agency of Girls Versus Boys in Language on McDonald’s Happy Meal Boxes” I think this is a good article to add to my paper because it will provide me with the information that language bias is happening in front of others and people are not paying attention. How people are not bothered with this fact and normalized this problem.