Home » Language Narrative Analysis

Language Narrative Analysis

How it Feels When  You are Judged by the Language 

Mankind is moronic beings who either choose to be ignorant or are forced to be ignorant
by a higher power. Ignorance is defined as a lack of intelligence that is considered to be
embarrassing. Ignorance is what drives us to adapt to the culture, learning new things. I would
describe ignorance as not just a lack of knowledge, but also a refusal to fit in with society. There
are some stories where I was being embarrassed and ignored which helped me to shape as a
strong person and also allow me to speak, read and write in English.

I was born and raised in Bangladesh. Bangla is my first language and we only learn basic
English for academic purposes. One story that I can remember is, I couldn’t understand a single
sentence uttered in English when I was younger. However, I used to enjoy watching
English-language wrestling. I never got what they were saying there. So, whenever my father
came to visit us in Bangladesh, I would ask him a lot of questions about it, and he would answer
them. As I said before, we never speak English at our Bangladeshi school. We only studied a
little grammar. So, whenever we heard someone speaking English in front of us we would
consider them as goddesses. Second incident that I remember is, one day one of my classmates
began speaking in English. It tickles my interest. I couldn’t understand what she was saying, but I
figured she must be quite intelligent because she spoke English. From that time on, people
treated her differently. Also, many of our relatives live in the United States. As a result, several
of my relatives were born here and speak English as their first language. So, the last memories I
have is that when I first arrived here, I believed I’d be friends with my cousins. They will look
after me and teach me English. When I used to go to their house, though, they would make fun of
me and my siblings and speak to us in normal English even though they knew we didn’t know
anything. As a result, we’re being overlooked and excluded from the festivities.

Despite the fact that the incident I told is somewhat amusing, it is also pitiful. Because it
hurts when we enjoy something but don’t understand it, or when someone your age knows
something but you don’t, especially if you disregard it due to your English. Those factors,
however, did not deter me from learning something. These considerations, on the other hand,
inspire me to enhance my English abilities. I’ll add that now that I know how to connect with
others who speak English as their second language. After knowing English, life has become easy
because I can go anywhere and do my work without difficulty. I often assist my father when he
requires assistance, and my mother speaks with physicians. Even if I don’t speak to my relatives,
I no longer have to be embarrassed in front of them. I take it seriously when people challenge me
or when I challenge myself to achieve something. In the same way, as I did in my English. I will
claim that my classmates assisted me in learning English. Even though I knew I made a lot of
mistakes, I always attempted to speak in English. My friends, on the other hand, never laughed at
me; instead, they corrected me. To comprehend others, I began viewing movies sans subtitles.
Not only that, but I was reading novels in English for the first time.

People don’t appreciate you if you don’t speak English well. If you don’t know acceptable
English, you won’t be able to acquire a good job in Bangladesh. It is also a major mode of
communication in the United States. Although not required, we must understand the
fundamentals of English. I’ve also heard of individuals evaluating others based on their accent
and declaring them illiterate if they can read and write.However, one piece of advice is to never
allow others to downplay your abilities. It makes no difference where you’re from or how you
say things as long as it makes sense. Perhaps in my instance, I was fortunate to have a friend who
assisted me rather than mocking me at my poor vocabulary, but that isn’t always the case. That is
the moment when we must rely on our strength to learn or gain information.

I’ll also recommend that people rectify their faults rather than criticizing them, because your words might hurt
someone very badly, destroying their willpower. Nowadays, thanks to social media, most
individuals can communicate in English.